Associate Civil Engineer
Must be located in the US
Explore the exciting career possibilities a multi-disciplinary firm brings while working with a purposeful, goal oriented, close-knit team to improve the quality of life in communities throughout the Central Valley and beyond. QK has been a home for hundreds of people to build their careers over the past 50 years. Join our team of highly experienced, innovative professionals and start elevating your career today in a place built for professionals to flourish and find professional success while building lifelong relationships with our team and our clients.
- Design plans, specifications and engineer's estimates for a wide variety of projects
- Oversee analysis prepared by subordinates including Assistant Civil Engineers, Engineering Technicians, CAD designers, Sr. CAD designers, and CAD Technicians. Be responsible for quality control of all work products prepared under their direction
- Write and produce reports
- Attend project meetings, public hearings, and presentations at interviews for new projects (This could involve travel to meetings in other areas and an occasional need to stay overnight)
- Maintain a current knowledge base for the work being performed, including reading professional publications and occasionally attending professional meetings and seminars
- Prepare engineering calculations, as associated with storm drain, wastewater, water system, earthwork quantities, transportation analysis, and other supporting documentation for public and private projects
- Conduct site visits and construction observation
- Under the direction of a senior civil engineer, coordinate with clients, consultants, and contractors during project construction as necessary to respond to clarifications, RFIs, and to issue change orders
- Assists in preparing applications for funding, permits, and other planning documents
- Performs other duties as assigned by senior civil engineering professionals, Team/Group Leaders, Branch Managers, or CAD Leaders as required in order to assist junior staff
- Assists with project management and project planning
- Prepares proposals
- Performs additional duties initiated by the Senior Associate Civil Engineer in order to maximize success of the civil engineering group, the client, and/or QK
- Proficient with HEC-RAS, SSA, WaterCAD, SewerCAD, etc.
- Proven ability to successfully work against a deadline and within constrained budgets
- Strong critical thinking skills that allow for collaborative innovation in problem solving and project planning
- Ability to teach junior staff both agency and company standards
- Ability to drive one's own career path, develop relationships with mentors, and seek opportunities for growth
- Able to remain flexible with the ever-changing workload, working conditions and project/agency requirements
- Proficient with design in AutoCAD Civil 3D, Adobe Suite, and Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to work well with others (as a team member) and alone
- Possess verbal and written communication skills sufficient to work well with others to accomplish team goals
- Ability to mentor and train less experienced staff members
- A current driver's license and safe driving record may be required if employee will be making field visits and/or meeting with clients outside the company's office
- Visual acuity and manual dexterity
- Ability to perform repetitive wrist and hand motions required
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods, and walk on uneven surfaces during site visit
- Graduate from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering or related field
- License or registration as Professional Engineer, preferably in the State of California
- One (1) + years practical experience as an Assistant Engineer, or the equivalent thereof
- Experience in drafting and plan production is required
The Associate Civil Engineer gives the more senior civil engineers a chance to delegate tasks, without much oversight or training, which will help to alleviate workload and move projects through the pipeline. The Associate Civil Engineers should have a strong working relationship with more senior engineers. The Associate Civil Engineer reports to an assigned Team Leader or Group Leader and may be required to report to the Branch Manager as requested. Associate Civil Engineers are expected work seamlessly with engineering team members, as well as team members from other disciplines throughout the entire firm in order promote our One Company philosophy.
Indoor working environment, working Monday through Friday 8 a.m. through 5 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required to complete projects and attend meetings. Travel to meetings and project sites will be a minimum of 15% of work hours.
QK is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity.
All eligible candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Health, Vision, Dental Benefits
- 401K (20% employer match)
- PTO and more
Location: Merced, California, US
Posted Date: 3/19/2023