As part of this initiative, CTFK has established a global advocacy resource center to provide accurate public information about tobacco use and effective tobacco control interventions and to assist advocates with resources and technical assistance to achieve policy change. These resources include policy, research, communications, legal, and advocacy support. This position reports to the Vice President, International Legal Consortium.
As a member of CTFK’s International Legal Consortium (ILC), the Senior Legal Advisor will provide legal support involving legislation, regulations, and litigation at the country, regional and international levels as well as engage in legal capacity building initiatives. The Senior Legal Advisor will analyze existing measures, draft legislation or regulatory standards, engage in negotiations regarding tobacco control law or policy, and work with representatives from national governments and NGOs to prepare specific legislation. S/he will work directly with CTFK’s regional coordinators and partners to assure the effectiveness of national legislative and litigation strategies. This position is based in Washington, DC and is open to US citizens and other applicants who already possess authorization to work permanently in the US. Until reentry to the Washington, DC Office is approved, all Washington, DC-based positions are remote.
Working with other ILC lawyers and CTFK international staff:
• Provide, upon request from governments or advocates, legal analyses of legislation, regulations, negotiations, and other initiatives at the country level on an ongoing basis.
• Assist with the drafting of legislation or regulations and provide continuing assistance as the draft is modified or changed by the government.
• Provide analysis of and support on in-country litigation involving tobacco control.
• Develop resource materials and tools relevant to advancing tobacco control policy and legislation globally.
• Review communications documents or briefings for legal accuracy.
• Review tobacco industry draft proposals and provide analyses and responses to weak provisions or loopholes created by the industry.
• Develop and maintain sample legislation for use as a tool for those considering legislation for the first time or for comparing weaknesses in specific provisions.
• Support the maintenance of CTFK’s website containing an inventory and analysis of countries’ tobacco control-related legislation and litigation.
• Serve as the legal advisor to one or more of CTFK’s multi-disciplinary country or regional teams.
• Participate in workshops and trainings to enhance in-country legal capacity for tobacco control.
• Provide other proactive and reactive legal services related to tobacco control as needed by CTFK.
• Contract and supervise the work of consultant in-country lawyers, as needed.
• Provide technical legal support to CTFK in-country grantees, as needed.
• Provide input to CTFK reports to donors and other administrative tasks.
• A Juris Doctor degree (or the equivalent first level legal degree awarded by a law school accredited by the national authority responsible for accreditation).
• A minimum of 5 to 10 years of legal, legislative, and international experience in tobacco control, public health, environmental, consumer, human rights, or similar public interest legal fields.
• Demonstrated legal and policy advocacy skills.
• Excellent analytical skills and legal and policy writing and research ability.
• Demonstrated excellence in communication and in working with people from diverse cultures and countries.
• Experience living and working in a low or middle-income country is preferred.
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to balance and prioritize multiple assignments in a fast-paced, team-based, and changing environment.
• Litigation experience is a plus.
• Fluency in English is required. Fluency in non-English languages is preferred, particularly French or Arabic.
• Experience with building capacity/training of government staff and advocates on public health, environmental, human rights, or consumer legal issues in a sustainable way is a plus.
• Ability to travel internationally, depending on circumstances.
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter, including salary requirement, and attach your resume to: email@example.com. Please reference the position code: LA-10 in the subject line of your email. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids