August 15 - October 31
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is seeking a Gender and Inclusion Thematic Analyst for the Ukraine International Election Observation Mission on the Eurasia team ahead of the anticipated October 2020 local elections. The Thematic Analyst is expected to work remotely from August through October.
Primary responsibilities include monitoring and providing in-depth analysis on the gender and inclusion aspects of the electoral environment in Ukraine. The analysis will be carried out in line with the Declaration of Principles for International Election Observation and Code of Conduct for International Election Observers and relevant laws of Ukraine. An additional focus will be on observing party compliance with mechanisms designed to increase equality and inclusion in the electoral campaign. The Thematic Analyst will report to the lead Thematic Analyst Coordinator, who will report to NDI Ukraine Resident Country Director and the Resident Deputy Director, assist in producing analytical documents and reports on the information environment ahead of the elections, and work closely with the other Thematic Analysts in developing regular reports and analyses. The Thematic Analyst will also coordinate with the three other thematic analysts working on Ukraine to ensure specific analysis is incorporated into findings and recommendations and will provide guidance to the short-term observers (STOs) on matters related to gender and inclusion.
Due to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), all analysis will be conducted remotely in cooperation with staff based in Kyiv, Ukraine. The analyst must be available to work concurrently with staff based in Kyiv (GMT +3) for at least two hours each day. This is a full-time temporary position.
• Coordinate with NDI's Elections team in Washington, DC to ensure that activities meet the standards of the Declaration of Principles and incorporate lessons learned in other long-term observations
• Provide a qualitative and quantitative analysis of key institutions' adherence to the legal framework around gender and inclusion and analyze national legislation and laws as they relate to gender and inclusion, with a specific focus on - but not limited to - sexual minorities.
• Become familiar with Ukraine's constitutional and legal framework for elections with an emphasis on legal requirements and guidelines for gender and inclusion;
• Track party adherence to the established electoral timelines as related to gender and inclusion mechanisms and requirements
• Assess the CEC's voter education initiatives using a gender and inclusion lens including COVID-19 mitigation and public health safety precautions with a focus on the ways in which gender and inclusion intersect with access to the ballot
• As appropriate, analyze impact of COVID-19 on electoral preparations and relevant thematic areas
• Monitor statements of political parties and candidates related to gender and inclusion, in partnership with local partners
• Prepare briefing materials and talking points on gender and inclusion during the election period, and other advice to the other Thematic Analysts as requested and as necessary
• When relevant, attend meetings and sessions hosted by the CEC or related electoral administration bodies
• Work closely with the Thematic Analysts and NDI staff to ensure the integration of various issues into the gender and inclusion analysis, and that gender and inclusion are integrated into their observation and analysis as well
• Maintain regular relations with gender and inclusion analysts of other international observation missions, as well as local civil society groups focused on gender and inclusion issues
• Prepare regular reports as stipulated by NDI Ukraine analyzing gender and inclusion in Ukraine's political environment
• Ensure gender and inclusion is integrated into briefings and reports as appropriate
• Collaborate with other Thematic Analysts to ensure issues are streamlined through all reports, including the preliminary election day statements, final mission report and any other statements issued by the mission
• Support the activity of the mission and of the international observers in any other aspect as necessary
• Bachelor's degree preferably in international relations, law, political science, development studies or related subject
• A minimum of seven (7) years relevant professional work experience at the national or international level implementing programming in the field of democracy and governance, with experience during election processes preferred
• Demonstrated ability to work under pressure in a sensitive political environment
• Demonstrated ability to work as a member of an internationally and culturally diverse team, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity
• Exceptional interpersonal and organizational skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of local stakeholders and foreign government personnel
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills to effectively present information in a clear and persuasive manner
• Analytical skills for interpreting complex electoral and political issues
• Experience working in Eastern Europe or Eurasia preferred
• Experience as a long-term observer or long-term analyst on an international observation mission preferred.
• Experience analyzing gender and inclusion issues preferred.
• Experience in analysis of election administration given special consideration
• Knowledge of PC-based word processing and e-mail technology
• Fluent in written and spoken English
• Knowledge of Ukrainian and/or Russian, preferred
NDI is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). As such, NDI makes employment decisions and provides equal employment opportunity without regard to an applicant's or employee's race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state and local laws. If you need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please notify NDI's Human Resources department.
To apply, please visit: https://www.Click2Apply.net/pqxhg5q8952f8jjy
How To Apply
National Democratic Institute