August 15 - October 31
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is seeking a Political Environment and Campaign Finance Thematic Analyst for the Ukraine International Election Observation Mission on the Eurasia team ahead of the anticipated October 2020 local elections. The Thematic Analyst is expected to work remotely from August through October.
Primary responsibilities include monitoring and providing in-depth analysis on the political and campaign finance environment in line with the Declaration of Principles for International Election Observation and Code of Conduct for International Election Observers and relevant laws of Ukraine. The Thematic Analyst will report to the lead Thematic Analyst Coordinator, who will report to NDI Ukraine Resident Country Director and the Resident Deputy Director, assist in producing analytical documents and reports on political and campaign finance issues ahead of the elections, and work closely with the other analysts in developing regular reports and analyses. The Thematic Analyst will also coordinate with the three other thematic analysts working on Ukraine to ensure specific analysis is incorporated into findings and recommendations.
Due to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), all analysis will be conducted remotely in cooperation with staff based in Kyiv, Ukraine. The analyst must be available to work concurrently with staff based in Kyiv (GMT +3) for at least two hours each day. This is a full-time temporary position.
• Coordinate with NDI's Elections team in Washington, DC to ensure that activities meet the standards of the Declaration of Principles and incorporate lessons learned in other long-term observations
• Provide a qualitative and quantitative analysis of key institutions' adherence to the legal framework around the political and campaign environment, campaign finance as they relate to the electoral process;
• Prepare briefing materials and talking points on the conduct of the political and campaign environment, campaign finance during the election campaign, the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the election campaign, and other advice to the NDI Ukraine team and other thematic analysts;
• When relevant and possible, remotely attend meetings and sessions hosted by the Central Election Commission of Ukraine, civil society organizations (CSOs), political parties, candidates, campaign finance oversight bodies, law-enforcement agencies, media or other related bodies;
• Maintain regular relations with relevant analysts and/or long-term observers of other international observation missions
• Follow party adherence to the established reporting timeline for financial disclosures
• Prepare regular reports as stipulated by NDI Ukraine analyzing the political environment
• As appropriate, analyze impact of COVID-19 on electoral preparations and relevant thematic areas
• Ensure political and campaign environment analysis and findings are integrated relevant reporting
• Collaborate with other thematic analysts to ensure issues are streamlined through all reports, including the preliminary election day statements, final mission report and any other statements issued by the mission
• Support the activity of the mission and of the international observers in any other aspect as necessary
Required Skills and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree preferably in international relations, law, political science, development studies or related subject
• A minimum of seven (7) years relevant professional work experience at the national or international level implementing programming in the field of democracy and governance, with experience during election processes preferred
• Demonstrated ability to work under pressure in a sensitive political environment
• Demonstrated ability to work as a member of an internationally and culturally diverse team, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity
• Exceptional interpersonal and organizational skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of local stakeholders and foreign government personnel
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills to effectively present information in a clear and persuasive manner
• Analytical skills for interpreting complex electoral and political issues
• Experience working in Eastern Europe or Eurasia preferred
• Experience as a long-term observer or long-term analyst on an international observation mission preferred
• Experience in analysis of election administration given special consideration
• Knowledge of PC-based word processing and e-mail technology
• Fluent in written and spoken English
• Knowledge of Ukrainian and/or Russian, preferred
NDI is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). As such, NDI makes employment decisions and provides equal employment opportunity without regard to an applicant's or employee's race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state and local laws. If you need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please notify NDI's Human Resources department.
To apply, please visit: https://www.Click2Apply.net/myczmj5vb28kn6d2
How To Apply
National Democratic Institute