Location: Washington, DC
Program Assistant/Senior Program Assistant
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks a Program Assistant(s)/Senior Program Assistant for Eurasia to support country staff, program officers and the Regional Director. Specific focus is on DC-based support of the team's Central Asia programs, including the following duties:
- Under close supervision, creates or makes substantial contributions to drafts of proposals, concept papers, donor reports, memos, program updates, work plans, and newsletter articles;
- Monitors political events throughout the region;
- Creates initial drafts of budgets; monitors program spending (in conjunction with field office and program supervisor); performs basic analysis and projection of financial status and reports on that status;
- Provides administrative and logistical support to field offices and regional staff; oversees logistics needs of assigned region, including contracts, travel, and other program-related tasks and activities;
- Provides administrative support and programmatic input into proposal process and contributes to strategic discussions; substantively contributes to work plan formulation and discussions;
- Maintains communications with NDI staff (DC and the field), as well as trainers, consultants and overseas partner organizations,; serves as back-up Point of Contact with funding agency reps;
- With guidance, identifies means and methods to support strategy, monitoring and evaluation of programs; .handles limited aspects of program management;
- Acts as back-up to other team members;
- Assists Program Manager in recruiting and briefing staff, volunteers, consultants and trainers and expedites projects in host country; coordinates new-hire and closeout procedures;
- Prepares and compiles briefing materials for staff, consultants and volunteers in field programs;
- Translates documents as needed.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in International Relations, Political Science or a related field; graduate degree preferred;
- Minimum of two (2) years experience (for SPA) in international development, community organizing, political campaigning, organizational development or legislative affairs; Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement on a one-for-one basis;
- Experience living and working overseas, preferably in the Eurasia region;
- High level of interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of staff, US and foreign government personnel and NGO community;
- High level of oral and written communication skills to effectively present information and respond to questions;
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team;
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions;
- Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications, especially the Google platform;
- Working knowledge of basic budget and accounting procedures;
- Interest in and knowledge of regional political environment and people;
- Fluency in oral and written English required; Additional linguistic abilities in Russian and other regional languages also useful;
- Ability to effectively articulate NDI mission statements and program/project initiatives;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and to meet deadlines;
- Ability to effectively prioritize;
- Ability to coordinate activities with superiors, colleagues and overseas field staff.
Position is based in Washington, DC and available immediately. Due to volume of applicants, only candidates considered will be contacted.
Please submit a cover letter.
Applicants must possess work authorization that does not require employer sponsorship.
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all, NDI bases its employment decisions on merit, qualifications and abilities. NDI is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, please visit: https://www.click2apply.net/dq759nyd9xsb2gm8
How To Apply
National Democratic Institute