Position Description: Director of Business Development
Equal Access International, (www.equalaccess.org) an international non-profit headquartered in San Francisco, CA, with additional offices in Washington DC creates positive social change and empowers millions of underserved people across the developing world. With award winning expertise in communications for social change, and funding from USG, other bi-laterals, multi-laterals and foundations, Equal Access combines the power and reach of media with direct community mobilization to implement innovative programs that create positive social change on issues such as women’s and girls’ empowerment; youth life skills and education; civic participation and governance; peacebuilding and CVE; agriculture and health. With country offices and large scale programs in Afghanistan, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cameroon, Chad, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, and Pakistan, more than 200 worldwide staff and fourteen years of experience implementing hi-impact social change projects across Asia, Africa and the Middle East, Equal Access is actively expanding its global impact and seeks a highly motivated Director of Business Development who possesses the multi-donor background knowledge and hands-on experience to lead and expand our business development efforts in response to an ever–increasing demand for the organization’s services. Detailed information about our organization and programs is available at www.equalaccess.org.
About the Position:
The Director of Business Development is an experienced, motivated and skilled business development and executive who leads institutional fund development efforts to support and advance the Equal Access mission. The Director of Business Development reports to the President and CEO, serving as a core member of the Senior Management Team and contributing to the overall strategic direction and growth planning for the organization. The Director of Business Development leads EA’s Annual Development Strategy and oversees its implementation. S/he provides leadership in the development, management and quality assurance of business development from capture through proposal submission, executing successful fund development and financial growth strategies, writing winning proposals and securing annual and multi-year funding from USG, other bi-laterals, multilaterals, international development agencies, foundations and other funding streams. The Director positions Equal Access as a preferred partner in the organization’s priority areas of impact. This includes, but is not limited to building strategic collaborations with key partners and networks related to core organizational priorities, as well as leveraging existing and new donor funding trends and opportunities. The successful candidate will leverage EA’s successful track record in program implementation and reliable institutional partnerships in developing strategies and leading fund development efforts that result in direct annual growth for the organization.
The Director of Business Development Position can be based in Washington DC or San Francisco HQ.
• Lead and direct Equal Access’ institutional fund development strategy and the fund development component of the annual plan to meet annual and multi-year goals.
• Assume responsibility for institutional fund development activities, increasing and diversifying Equal Access funding streams, including opportunities for unrestricted funding.
• Oversee all aspects of the development process from strategy, to capture, and once a proposal goes live until award decision ( including go/no-go meetings, partnership development, client interface, proposal review teams, coordinating inputs with technical staff (HQ and Field Offices/potential partners), recruitment of key positions, assisting the development of cost and pricing strategy and ensuring high quality proposals are priced-to-win while also ensuring financial and regulatory integrity to safeguard Equal Access.
• Collaborate with CEO and Senior Management team in developing financial strategies for unrestricted funding reserves and sustainable organizational growth.
• Represent Equal Access to key senior external stakeholders and partners in collaboration with CEO.
• Report on progress toward achievement of business development goals and growth strategies to Senior Management and the Board of Directors.
• Serve as needed in the role of senior technical writer/ and or cost lead in the development of winning proposals.
• Manage proposal teams to deadlines and build capacity of development and program staff to win new business.
• Successfully direct business development staff and work closely with BD manager and Country Office teams to identify funding opportunities at local and global and levels. In collaboration with BD manager, track and follow up on business intelligence leading to bid opportunities and foundation grant submissions.
• Define clear roles, and refine procedures and support systems for business development coordination across the organization.
• Oversee proposal management and pipeline systems to ensure tracking, monitoring and accurate reporting against goals. Ensure that proposals meet funder specifications as well as Equal Access quality standards.
• Identify and capitalize on opportunities to increase Equal Access’ visibility and elevate its public image in collaboration with CEO.
• Collaborate with Marketing and Communications team to raise the profile of Equal Access International and its mission. Ensure drafting of corporate and technical capacity statements; collaborate on marketing and communications plans and related corporate documents as necessary.
• Minimum of 10 years progressively challenging international business development experience, and 5 years of management level experience relevant to the position including proposal design and negotiations with a proven track record of securing annual and multi-year funding from donor agencies such as USAID, other bi-laterals, UN agencies, and major foundations. (Experience in securing unrestricted funding is a strong plus).
• Experience contributing to strategic direction and growth planning as a member of a senior management team.
• Successful track record of capturing prime new business awards with USG federal agencies working internationally; and with other bi-lateral and multilateral international donors.
• Experience in market development, especially with USG funders, and other international donors (DFID, UN, and other bi-laterals.)
• Demonstrated ability to produce compelling and technically sound proposals and promotional documents both individually and in collaboration with teams; intellectually agile and flexible with strong creative and analytical skills.
• Proven understanding of key international development issues and their nexus with media and community engagement for social change programming.
• An established network of contacts relevant to Equal Access’ business development goals.
• Previous experience supervising staff; demonstrated ability to coach, mentor and build capacity of teams.
• A commitment to the Vision and Mission of Equal Access.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Outstanding written and oral communications skills; and the ability to handle highly visible responsibilities.
• Superior organizational and management skills: ability to multi-task, manage teams to deadlines; apply results oriented problem solving approaches; and collaborate effectively as a team member.
• Skilled in setting priorities, anticipating work requirements, and attention to detail.
• Experience in developing cost proposals and pricing strategies, preferred.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills with co-workers, partners and donors; a team player with clear ability to interrelate and operate effectively with peers and other associates.
• Strong work ethic, impeccable integrity and sense of accountability.
• Proficient computer skills including use of Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint. Experience with online tools a strong plus.
• Graduate degree (or additional experience in lieu) in relevant field required.
We offer a competitive salary, benefits and the chance to join an innovative and dedicated international team passionate about our mission. To apply, please send a cover letter indicating your reasons for interest in the position, including your CV, salary history and one writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Director of Business Development” in the title of the email.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis, however, applications are preferred by February 1, 2017. Equal Access International is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, please send a cover letter indicating your reasons for interest in the position, including your CV, salary history and one writing sample to: email@example.com. Please include “Director of Business Development” in the title of the email.
Contact: Silvia Castillo
Equal Access International
1212 Market Street Ste 200
San Francisco, CA, United States 94102-4817
Fax: 415 561-4885 Website: www.equalaccess.org
AboutJobs.com does not guarantee the validity or accuracy of the job information posted in this database. It is the job seeker's responsibility to independently review all posting companies, contracts and job offers.
Equal Access International is seeking a Director of Business Development to guide their mission of creating positive social change across the developing world - can be based in Washington, DC or San Francisco HQ.